Well, it’s mid February…by now most New Years resolutions have been broken. This year I decided not to make any resolutions and set goals for the year instead. One thing I notice about making resolutions and goals is that it shows at least a surface level desire to change. Many times I see people that want to change, but they don’t really want to do the work. I thought up a few things that you need to keep in mind if you want to get better at anything you do.
1. You must be willing to evaluate yourself. Do you have a written list of areas you need to improve in?
2. You must be willing to let others evaluate you. One of the most annoying things that people can do is say that they want to change and then make excuses when people try to help them. Excuses are of the devil…just sayin.
3. Don’t be willing to accept your weaknesses. So what if you are not administrative, or don’t handle stress well, or not very creative…YOU are in charge of your skill set. Fix it!
4. Seek out the answers. Contrary to popular belief…answers to most life improving questions will not just drop in your lap. You have to open a book, internet search, or even the Bible (crazy thought huh?) to find the answers to your questions. Then you have to apply the answer.
5. Remember, the world DOES NOT owe you anything. So, you had a tough childhood? Lost your job? Didn’t get a puppy for Valentines Day? Stop waiting for opportunities to drop in your lap. In my 31 years of life money has never fallen from the sky, dream jobs have not knocked on my door, and I have never been asked to play on a game show. The good things in life have to be chased after. If you think that great opportunities in life will just happen without you doing anything, you might miss it.
Jeremiah 29:11 (my favorite verse) says that God has GREAT plans for us…plans for good and not disaster. Plans won’t get you anywhere unless you follow them. Follow the steps that God lays out for you…even if it doesn’t always make sense. The outcome will be better than you could ever hope or dream.
Follow Gods Plan, seek out answers, and stay humble. That’s when amazing things will happen!